Skip to main content

On The Other Side of Where I am.

I had a long week last week. From technical meeting on Monday to Site Meeting on Tuesday to 3 days am to pm interaction meeting to another urgent site inspection on Friday. I'm exhausted, flat on my ass at the end of the week that I could hardly enjoy a fabulous Friday night family dinner of ikan bakar at Teluk Tempoyak. kesian kan. haha.

Anyway, no matter how tiring it feels sometimes, I do gain satisfaction with the thing I'm doing. Working in a consultant company has given me such a great opportunity to learn so much about the profession. I love being in charge of a project, flipping through tones of thick heavy drawings and reports no matter how they often caused me paper cuts, rushing to the site under scorching hot Malaysia sun that often makes me dizzy, I love coordinating people albeit sometimes feeling all lost and confused when speaking to the engineers and other consultants, contractors, councils etc. I love discussing technical issues, giving out ideas and solution or even to the extent of making decision. I am learning at a fast rate and improving what I was lacking so much before I started working; people skill. And to be told by my superior that I am reliable and competent is the best self esteem booster. I love being an architect.

My career has just started, I could see clearly although not quiet confidently where I am at and where I want to be in the next 3 to 5 years. But one thing I forgot was to keep reviewing my Plan B.

Somewhere in October 2012, I attended an interview for an Architect position in the Ministry of Works which I was quite 110% confident that I didn't pass, considering the number of applicants and my performance during the interview session. I can hardly say I did ok. But I guess, when you took such a large sum of government's fund for your education, you can't just get away with it. When I just got the offer, I was a tad flat with my feelings. Half of me wished I did not make it through. I have 7 years bond with the government, meaning it is a must for me to accept the offer. I do not have a choice.

But I must be grateful. Come to think of it, I pretty much received a free tertiary education. I do not have to pay back a single penny comparing to others who have taken loan or even ptptn and now are painfully paying back every month out of their limited useful income. I only need to work with the government and it's not so bad. 

I will still hold a position of an Architect although the prospect and even the scope of works are very different. I've been liaising with JKR's architects for the last few months and I could see the differences. I will not say which is better than the other, like everything else in the world, I believe being a government officer has its ups and downs and soon enough I will learn what they are. I only hope I will love my new work and workplace as much as I love being an architect in a private company or maybe even better, I will love it more.

I'll be on the other side of where I am now and let's hope I can make the best of it. InshaAllah.

Oh yeah, by the way, my brother suggested that I should get married before settling to a new place in case they put me somewhere out of Penang. So, should I launch like a 30 days to find love mission or something of that sort? hahaha. 


Comments

AfIqAh^^AiSyAh said…
Congrats dapat keje ngan kerajaan As. Though u may not like it now, I hope u'll enjoy it later. InsyaAllah.. U were chosen coz ur one of the top scorers la surely. Btw, kalau nak launch the 30 days to find love, ajak la aku sekali. Hahahahaha! :P
asriah said…
first of all, thank you reading, mmg terharu ada org komen, dah lama takda org komen kat blog ni. haha

inshaAllah, you can't always have what you love but you should love what you have and most of all, be grateful.

jom weh, kita nak mulakan dengan iklan ka caman? haha

Popular posts from this blog

Asrama

Oh, my dear nephew is enrolling to Maahad today. Oh, I could see his murky face when he kissed me goodbye… Sorry dear, makcik tak hantaq, malas nak menyempit kereta… the thought of being sent away from home for the first time must be dreadful… oh, I know it well… masuk asrama memang tak best. Anyways, you’re a boy, you must do well… It reminds me of my first day being away from home. I rushed for a shower the moment I saw my ayah’s car left the school yard. It was still early for a late noon shower, but all I wanted was just to cry (out of anyone sights, since that I found shower is a great place to shed my tears)… haha… I couldn’t sleep at nights, found it so hard to make friends and follow the rules… For a year, I scribbled everywhere a note ‘ adik nak balik, adik benci asrama ’… wishing that my parents would read and get me out of there… hahaa… Oh, I made it through though… Eventually, a bunk bed did give me some good sleeps, I made lot of friends….oh, but I never really succeede

Transition

Sometimes I wonder if I would still blog after I go back for good since it always turns out that I don’t really blog whenever I return to Malaysia. I’m back in Melbourne again. Despite everything I said about this place. I'm always thankful that I’m studying here. 8 hours is long enough, can’t imagine going further. Let alone going back during a short winter break like I just did. Haha… However, regardless how good Melbourne is, coming back here is never easy. It is not the place, it’s the transition. Travelling is tiring. Yes, like yesterday, I had to take two flights, one from Penang to KL, then KL to Melb, it is a lot more tiring for someone like me who could barely sleep in a plane. That’s why I enjoy traveling during the day and taking a window seat. I enjoy day dreaming while staring at those fluffy white clouds. Haha.. Weather change changes everything. I had never went back during winter before. So that was my first time experiencing an abrupt change from a

Creepy Me in my Poems

For the first time in my architecture-life, I'm bringing my poems into architecture. What's more interesting is, I use my poems in their original form, by this I mean, in Malay language. Now everybody in my class knows how Malay language sounds like. ahaha... The project is pretty much investigating the space between poems. The atmosphere of hearing two poems recited simultaneously. Sounds that make space, space that's defined by sound. Seriously, I don't really know how it'll work out... but hey, just having some experimentation with stuff a bit off-architecture... a break from my headache major project. Plus, I kinda enjoy making people listen to my poems without expecting them to understand a word... rather then, reciting to a bunch of people who understand but couldn't 'appreciate' them... and yeah, I receive some flattering comments from 'mat-salleh' course mate like... "when something is well written, even you can't understand it..