Skip to main content

How I deal with fireflies in my tummy?

Bismillah...

A friend, upon knowing how I never had any exam except 3 minor tests in 5 years study asked how do I really cope with presentations, don't I feel nervous or anything.

I guess for most architecture students, weekly presentation is like going to the toilet in a cold wintry night. It's  torturous sometimes, but we gotta do it anyway because to wet your mattress during winter is the worse decision ever, It ain't no sun to light it dry, leaving you sleeping on the floor for the following months. Damp and dirty mattress will invite bedbugs... and, oh, you know what they do... ok sudah2.. the analogy is getting to far... but who wets a mattress even in a other season? baloq sungguh. eee. pengotoq.

Anyway, most of us can actually do the presentation subconsciously... u know, like how you p** with your eyes half-opened/closed. It's just something we used to do. fullstop.

Nevertheless, for major presentations... as for me, I still get fireflies in my tummy... No matter how many years I've been doing it, it's still feel the same, every time, especially when I know there'll be a list of well-known scrutinizers architects as my guest critics.

So, how do I keep the cool?

1. GET YOUR WORK DONE!!! / Be prepared. Kalau dah kerja tak siap2 sah2 la ketaq. tak upaya la. Asriah, nanti tolong print awal2 sikit.

Hahaa.. takdak gambaq nak letak.
2. Dress well. When I was in high school, I used to join forums and some other public speaking competitions, Bahasa Melayu la tapinya... and I remember preparing the night before making sure my uniform is freshly washed and ironed. I would also laced up my shoes tightly. That was the reason why I wore laced shoes during high schools although most girls would go for normal pump shoes. Brogues are my favorite now. These days, I would think on what to wear a day earlier as I always face incurable indecisiveness in deciding on daily outdoor attire. Sometimes I would iron and hang it next to my bed if the presentation should start early in the morning. But normally I would just iron on the day. Ya, saya mmg rajin iron baju. sampai stakat ni smua yg jd roomate kat hall ni teguq. takdala suka. tapi habit. pastu kdg lupa tutup iron. -_-". Anyway, I think, "when you look good, you feel good" kinda works for me. Plus, when you know you look presentable, you at least have one thing less to worry about. Make sure your attire is appropriate and comfortable though, not just pretty or nice. I did mistakes too sometimes, like how I wore skirt for my last presentation not realizing I had to climb and crawl to setup the presentation. Expect the unexpected. But don't get too excited, to an extent... hari lain pucat macam nak mati, mai nak present, tudia aih mulut merah... tebai setimba... 6 kilometer nampak dah bibiaq dia. dress moderately. Like last time, I wore black and white since my presentation panels were all very colorful. Nak orang tengok kerja ka, nak orang tgk hang? Ok. dah... I should prolly write a separate post for this... ahhaha

3. Be confident. but how? I know it's not easy to get THE confident. Aside form point #1, you have to believe in what you're going to say. 'Know' them well but never memorize the text (if you had any) word by word. If you did, once you forgot... you'll just go blank. It happened to me before. I got lost and didn't know how to pick up where I left. Also, do not read up or at least, don't read too much from text. It's ok when it comes to quotes... but if you just read from the beginning to the end, your presentation tends to sound like this "--------------------------" and it's BORING! Same goes to slides presentation. Avoid placing long texts or paragraphs. Use points and BIG and punchy font if suitable. Say it slightly different form the slides because apparently your audience can read. Also, to have the confident, you really need to believe in yourself and your authority in telling people what they (just assume) don't know.... and throw your voice as you speak, at least... it fakes the confident even though it's not really there.

4. Drink enough water. I'm not suggesting to eat which is actually quite necessary. It's your mouth that should do the talking not your tummy. But in my case, I most of the time prefer not to eat (much) because when I get too nervous, I always feel like vomiting, and if I had eaten, I would then end up vomiting causing me feeling tired and all. I always keep a bottle  of water with me. Maybe carry something to munch. Buah-buahan ka... oh, tapi yg sesuai laa.. satgi makan epal krukrakkrukkrak... hingaq kot.

5. Talk to the critics, or maybe just anyone. Anxiety piles up if you keep quite. But don't create a scene laa.. org present kat depan dok potpetpotpet stail anak mami kat blakang susah la. If you had a chance, talk to the critics... I find this helps, because presenting to a complete stranger who would later criticizes your work is rather...hmm intricate? I don't know how to say it, but to put it simply... talking to your critics eases the tension between you and them, thus it makes you feel easier when it comes to 'telling' them your work. It's like warming up. 

6. Unless you must, don't pay too much attention on other people's presentation. ahaha.. why? Intimidation is one. Common... let's get real, won't you get intimidated when the person before you were all pumped and praised up by the critics? or what if the critics were so mean...what if the person's works seemed fine to you but he got bogged down so badly. what if... ahaha.. ok... my point here is, our emotion is usually quite unstable before the presentation, thus... all the 'if-examples' can sometimes demotivate us. Thus, listen... but don't give too much heed. I sometimes go out  for a little walk from the room when it gets too intense pretending like going to the toilet. yeah, I think they were some presentations in which people would have thought I got kidney problems. Or find a distraction, like texting friends or twitting... I don't know.. it depends on you.

7. Last, but the most important one is to tawakkal to Allah. Say bismillah, recite the prayer of Moses. After all, Allah is the most powerful of all. He makes it easy whatever He wills. If Allah were to test you with difficulties, no matter how you've prepared... it won't be as easy as you wish. Pray. jangan prepare nak present sampai tak solat. 

There go 7 points from me. Cukup la kot. I think my points are more on doing architecture presentations... maybe some are quite unrelated to you. Mind to share yours?

*I prefer fireflies than butterflies. ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Asrama

Oh, my dear nephew is enrolling to Maahad today. Oh, I could see his murky face when he kissed me goodbye… Sorry dear, makcik tak hantaq, malas nak menyempit kereta… the thought of being sent away from home for the first time must be dreadful… oh, I know it well… masuk asrama memang tak best. Anyways, you’re a boy, you must do well… It reminds me of my first day being away from home. I rushed for a shower the moment I saw my ayah’s car left the school yard. It was still early for a late noon shower, but all I wanted was just to cry (out of anyone sights, since that I found shower is a great place to shed my tears)… haha… I couldn’t sleep at nights, found it so hard to make friends and follow the rules… For a year, I scribbled everywhere a note ‘ adik nak balik, adik benci asrama ’… wishing that my parents would read and get me out of there… hahaa… Oh, I made it through though… Eventually, a bunk bed did give me some good sleeps, I made lot of friends….oh, but I never really succeede

Transition

Sometimes I wonder if I would still blog after I go back for good since it always turns out that I don’t really blog whenever I return to Malaysia. I’m back in Melbourne again. Despite everything I said about this place. I'm always thankful that I’m studying here. 8 hours is long enough, can’t imagine going further. Let alone going back during a short winter break like I just did. Haha… However, regardless how good Melbourne is, coming back here is never easy. It is not the place, it’s the transition. Travelling is tiring. Yes, like yesterday, I had to take two flights, one from Penang to KL, then KL to Melb, it is a lot more tiring for someone like me who could barely sleep in a plane. That’s why I enjoy traveling during the day and taking a window seat. I enjoy day dreaming while staring at those fluffy white clouds. Haha.. Weather change changes everything. I had never went back during winter before. So that was my first time experiencing an abrupt change from a

Creepy Me in my Poems

For the first time in my architecture-life, I'm bringing my poems into architecture. What's more interesting is, I use my poems in their original form, by this I mean, in Malay language. Now everybody in my class knows how Malay language sounds like. ahaha... The project is pretty much investigating the space between poems. The atmosphere of hearing two poems recited simultaneously. Sounds that make space, space that's defined by sound. Seriously, I don't really know how it'll work out... but hey, just having some experimentation with stuff a bit off-architecture... a break from my headache major project. Plus, I kinda enjoy making people listen to my poems without expecting them to understand a word... rather then, reciting to a bunch of people who understand but couldn't 'appreciate' them... and yeah, I receive some flattering comments from 'mat-salleh' course mate like... "when something is well written, even you can't understand it..